Essential Access Health (Essential Access) is seeking a Staff Accountant. The Staff Accountant is a key member of the nine-person Finance Team that supports our diverse activities.
Essential Access Health is a 50 year old non-profit organization with a $30 million annual budget. The organization champions and promotes quality sexual and reproductive health care for all. As the administrator of California's Title X (ten) federal family planning program – the largest Title X system in the nation – and Hawaii’s Title X program, Essential Access receives federal family planning funds which it allocates to multiple delegate agencies that provide direct family planning and related preventive health services to mostly low-income and uninsured patients in California and Hawaii.
In addition, Essential Access is funded by numerous state, county, and private foundation grants; contracts with private companies for specific research projects; and earns income by providing training to health care providers across the country.
- Work collaboratively with solid interpersonal and professional relationship building skills.
- Learn and comply with policies and procedures of Title X and other grant programs.
- Collaborate via phone and Zoom with assigned Title X delegate agencies to review and approve their submitted budgets, quarterly financial reports, and annual audits; provide technical assistance and training to delegate agencies on federal financial regulations; and visit and/or Zoom with delegate agencies to evaluate their compliance with Title X regulations.
- Manage monthly grant reporting/invoicing/tracking for 10-15 grants and contracts. Ensure grant compliance; seek solutions to any budget and/or grant constraints. Monitor and respond to funder inquiries related to assigned grants and contracts.
- Analyze monthly budget vs. actual results for assigned grants and contracts; work closely with program personnel to develop fiscal and program plans to ensure appropriate spending, billing, and compliance for their grants and contracts. Provide technical assistance to program project managers with periodic financial reports.
- Monitor daily banking activity and prepare/enter journal entries to record deposits, ACH and wires, payroll and banking fees, and other banking transactions. Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for Controller’s review.
- Prepare journal entries for prepaid accounts, audit fee and SRER accruals, indirect cost, and other necessary monthly and quarterly closing adjustments.
- Prepare monthly Shared Cost allocation analysis in Excel for telephone, IT and other overhead bills; prepare/enter journal entries to record the monthly charges.
- Prepare account reconciliations and financial schedules.
- Back up Accounts Payable Specialist as needed.
- Perform additional general ledger, finance, and accounting duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting.
- 2 – 4 years of experience in accounting role.
- Highest level of integrity and work ethic.
- Strong problem solving and time management skills.
- Working technical knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, accounting practices and systems and ability to research topics as required.
- Thorough knowledge of Excel, comfort level in learning and adapting to different computer systems, as well as demonstrated interest in using technology to increase innovation and streamline daily work.
- Ability to learn various methods of grants accounting, reporting, and management.
- Ability to take constructive criticism and comfort with learning on the job.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with colleagues and individuals inside and outside the Company.
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure to meet deadlines, with strong results orientation.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a team setting.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Position is a hybrid model.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
A current California Driver’s License, current registration and current automobile insurance coverage is required if you drive on company business.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Access Health’s mission is to insure comprehensive family planning and other health services to all Californians. All employees must be supportive of the organization’s mission and goals and be able to handle mature subject material about reproductive and sexual health in a confident and professional manner.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume and salary requirements to:
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Essential Access offers a competitive salary + benefits. Essential Access is an M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.