Family Planning Health Worker Certification – Nov 2023
This virtual, interactive Family Planning Health Worker (FPHW) Certification Training is Essential Access Health's nationally recognized comprehensive contraceptive counseling course for health providers and educators. Participants learn how to provide patient-centered contraceptive counseling based on individual preferences and family planning desires, get non-coercive informed consent and integrate STI prevention messaging. They also learn how to comply with privacy and mandatory reporting laws while providing confidential sexual and reproductive health services.
All training recipients have access to the online flipbook version of our manual, "The Fundamentals of Family Planning: A Manual for Providing Comprehensive Patient-Centered Contraceptive Counseling." (updated Aug, 2023)
Online modules = 4.5 hours
Instructor-led Zoom sessions = 7.5 hours:
- Zoom #1: Tuesday, Nov 14th, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM PT
- Zoom #2: Tuesday, Nov 21st, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM PT
- Zoom #3: Tuesday, Nov 28th, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM PT
- Zoom #4: Tuesday, Dec 5th, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM PT
- Nurses, RNs, LVNs
- Medical Assistants
- Health Educators + Health Education Specialists
- Sexuality or Peer Educators
- HIV/AIDS or STI Prevention or Testing Staff
- Family Planning Outreach Workers or Counselors
After completing this training, you will be able to:
- Apply a reproductive justice lens when providing family planning services
- Assist patients with selecting birth control methods that fit with their personal preferences
- Demonstrate the process for obtaining non-directive and non-coercive informed consent for contraception
- Identify and apply laws related to patients' rights when receiving sexual and reproductive health care
- Efficiently integrate STI prevention messaging into a contraceptive counseling session
- Demonstrate best practice techniques when providing a patient-centered contraceptive counseling session (via a mock in-person or telehealth visit)
The course fee includes CEU processing (CPH = 14.0; CHES = 13.0; Nursing = 16.1).
Certified in Public Health (CPH):
This event was sponsored by Essential Access Health, an approved provider of CPH Recertification Credits by the National Board of Public Health Examiners for 14.0 credits.
Health Educators (CHES®):
Essential Access Health, provider #98021, is designated as a provider of Category 1 continuing education contact hours in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. Health educators attending this program may report up to 13.0 contact hours.
Provider approved by California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider #CEP 12241, for 16.1 contact hours.